The musical learner absorbs concepts best through sounds and rhythms. Musical learners like to hum songs, tap their feet, and listen to music while studying. Music helps them focus and process information.
Listed below are some characteristics of musical (rhythmic) learners:
- Probably sings or plays a musical instrument
- Highly creative
- Likes to see, think, and understand concepts with sounds and rhythmic patterns instead of pictures and words
3 Tips for Working with Musical Learners
- Create songs, tunes, and rhymes to help students memorize information
- Allow students to listen to music while studying
- Tap out a beat when helping students master a new concept
Although musical learners can master concepts the same way that verbal-linguistic learners absorb and memorize information, they need some form of music in their lives to feel happy at school. So, whenever possible use music and rhythm in your teaching.